A stay in detox for drug & alcohol addiction is a great starting point for recovery, but without treatment afterwards it’s much harder to remain sober.
detox is a critical first step towards recovery. Research has shown that cravings for drugs and alcohol are at their highest the first 7-10 days after detox! This is due to the half-life of most of the medications dispensed in detox. As those medications are eliminated from your system, your body is seeking relief the only way it knows how – through the use of drugs and alcohol, which is how you landed in detox in the first place. This can become a vicious cycle.
Although there is significant evidence that detox is crucial, there is also equal evidence that detox alone is not sufficient. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NIDA) states that it is important to remember that detox is only the first step in the treatment process. The best treatment programs provide a combination of therapies and other services to meet the needs of the individual patient.
Drug rehab is critical upon completion of detox for numerous reasons including:
- A distraction-free environment focused solely on recovery.
- An alcohol and drug free environment.
- Less concern with day-to-day living requirements like meal preparation, cleaning, etc.
- Enough distance from “triggers” (the reasons people use), to examine those situations and identify those triggers.
- Interaction with others in recovery to keep you motivated at your toughest times.
- Therapeutic activities such as outdoor activities, sports, art, music, journaling that you might not make time for at home.
- A time to examine yourself and your responsibility for your choices.
- Addiction not only affects your behavior but also your brain and inpatient programs allows time for the brain to begin to heal.
- Effective treatment should holistically address all areas of your life – not just your addiction.
- Mental health conditions are often linked to substance abuse and inpatient programs evaluate and address these issues in your treatment.
- Treatment programs assess for any coexisting infectious diseases such as HIV, Hepatitis and tuberculosis.
- You must commit enough time to treatment to effectively overcome your addiction.
- Long-term behavior change requires a process of behavioral therapy and ongoing support.
- Involvement in individual, group and family therapy.
- Pharmaceutical treatment is often necessary in conjunction with therapy.
- Treatment plans are continually revised to meet your changing needs and circumstances.
detox eliminates the toxins from the body. Treatment provides the individual with the opportunity to begin to restore balance to the mind, body and spirit. This cannot be accomplished in a 5-7 day detox facility. Drug rehab is the crucial next step.
Detox – THE FIRST STEP to Recovery
Freedom Detox Center is conveniently located in Los Angeles, CA
When you are ready, we are here for you 24/7
CONFIDENTIAL EMAIL FORM